Licensing and basic info for visitor hams

(Extract of the Spanish regulations)

Governmental Agency

The amateur authorization and licences are issued by a governmental agency known as the “Dirección General de Telecomunicaciones y Ordenación de los Servicios de Comunicación Audivisual” (DGTOSCA). There is a DGTOSCA office in each of the 52 Spanish Provinces, named “Jefatura Provincial de Inspección de Telecomunicaciones” (JPIT).
The addresses of these JPIT can be found here

Amateur Authorization

Any resident foreign wishing to obtain an amateur licence must prove their knowledge regarding radio matters and radio regulations. Examinations are carried out in the respective JPIT.

After passing the exam, the HAREC Certificate is issued. Then, you may apply for the amateur authorization, which includes the callsign. Download aplication.

If you have a foreign amateur licence and your country has implemented the HAREC Certificate (CEPT Recommendation T/R 62-02), you must first obtain this certificate from your Government and then apply for an EA callsign at the JPIT of the province where you are living or you are moving to (see list below).

If your country is not a HAREC one but it has signed a reciprocity agreement with Spain, you can also apply for an EA callsign without doing exam. These countries ares: Argentina, Australia, Brasil, Canada, Colombia, Costa Rica, United States of America and Venezuela.

The authorization fee is only paid the first time (see below).

Station Licence

For operating your own fixed station you must apply for a station licence. A report about antennas and equipment to be installed in your home in Spain must be enclosed with this application. Download aplication

All papers must be delivered to the respective JPIT. Antenna installations must generally be carried out by an approved telecommunication installing firm (Download), unless the JPIT considers it can be done by the amateur due to the simplicity of the antenna system.

It is mandatory to contract third party liability insurance for the antenna system, previous to installing it.

The amateur authorization and the station licence can be requested at the same time.

If you have only a mobile and/or a handheld station, it is not necessary to apply for a station licence. You can use them with your amateur authorization.

Frequencies allowed in Spain

kHz Max. Power
135,7 – 137,8 1 W (EIRP)
472 – 479 1 W (EIRP) (1)
1.810 – 1.830
1.830 – 1.850
500 W
1000 W
5.351,5 – 5.366,5 15 W
3.500 – 3.800
7.000 – 7.200
1000 W
10.100 – 10.150 500 W
14.000 – 14.350
18.068 – 18.168
21.000 – 21.450
24.890 – 24.990
28.000 – 29.700
1000 W
50.000 – 52.000 600 W
70.150 – 70.250 10 W
144.000 – 146.000 600 W (2)
430.000 – 440.000 300 W (2)
1.240 – 1.300
2.300 – 2.316 (3)
2.316 – 2.332
2.332 – 2.450 (3)
5.650 – 5.660 (3)
5.660 – 5.684
5.684 – 5.850 (3)
500 W (EIRP)
GHz Max. Power (EIRP)
10.00 – 10.50 (3) 500 W
24.00 – 24.05 1000 W
24.05 – 24.25 (3) 500 W
47.00 – 47.20 1000 W
76.00 – 77.50 (3) 500 W
77.50 – 78.00 1000 W
78 – 81 (3)
122.25 – 123.00 (3)
500 W
134 – 136 1000 W
134 – 141 (3)
241 – 248
500 W
248 – 250 1000 W

(1) – 5 W (EIRP) if the distance is greater than 800 km from the African countries.

(2) – For EME and MS contacts can be used up to 1000 W.

(3) – It is required special permission for using these bands.

It is applicable the IARU Region 1 Bandplan. See


Holders of a CEPT general licence or those from non-CEPT countries which accept the CEPT licence can use your station throughout the whole of Spain, including Balearic Islands, Canary Islands and Spanish North Africa (EA, EA6, EA8 & EA9) without any other requirement.

Countries which have implemented the CEPT licence are: Austria, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom

Non-CEPT countries which accept the CEPT licence are: Australia, Canada, Israel, Netherlands Antilles, New Zealand, Peru, South Africa and United States of America.

Other visitors must apply for a temporary authorization at:


Área de Concesiones y Autorizaciones (Radioaficionados)
Poeta Joan Maragall, 41
28020 Madrid


A copy of their home licence must be enclosed.

Callsign to be used by visitors: EA + district + own callsign (EA/F1ZZZ) or EA + district + own callsign (EA4/F1ZZZ).

Visitors with a temporary authorization can operate for a maximum period of three months.

The Spanish Administration does not give specific call signs to foreign amateurs for any temporary operation.

Dues (2023)

Examination fee: EUR 23,67
Amateur authorization (call sign): EUR 114,36
Temporary authorization: Free.
The fee form can be completed and printed here

Call areas and Provinces

There are nine call areas in Spain. They include the following Provinces:
EA1: Asturias (O), Ávila (AV) Burgos (BU), Cantabria (S), A Coruña (C), La Rioja (LO), León (LE), Lugo (LU), Ourense (OU), Palencia (P), Pontevedra (PO), Salamanca (SA), Segovia (SG), Soria (SO), Valladolid (VA), Zamora (ZA).
EA2: Álava (VI), Guipúzcoa (SS), Huesca (HU), Navarra (NA), Teruel (TE), Vizcaya (BI), Zaragoza (Z).
EA3: Barcelona (B), Girona (GI), Lleida (L), Tarragona (T).
EA4: Badajoz (BA), Cáceres (CC), Ciudad Real (CR), Cuenca (CU), Guadalajara (GU), Madrid (M), Toledo (TO).
EA5: Albacete (AB), Alicante (A), Castellón (CS), Murcia (MU), Valencia (V).
EA6: Baleares (IB).
EA7: Almería (AL), Cádiz (CA), Córdoba (CO), Granada (GR), Huelva (H), Jaén (J), Málaga (MA), Sevilla (SE).
EA8: Las Palmas (GC), Santa Cruz de Tenerife (TF).
EA9: Ceuta (CE), Melilla (ML).


See repeater maps